Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Yummy Veggie Burgers



Quinoa Burgers

I am a vegetarian and am always on the hunt for exciting new flavors. Quinoa (pronounced kin-wa) is my latest experiment. My mom gave me this recipe, and it is so tasty. During a Halloween party I made mini quinoa burgers. Everyone loved them. I was not able to get my fiancé to try them. He says he is a “meat-a-tarian”. Everyone else at the party wanted the recipe.

If you know someone who prefers to not eat meat you should share this recipe. There are so many different ways to make these burgers. My mom put black beans in with this recipe. I decided to take them out because I didn’t have them in my cupboard. I bought my quinoa at Co-op in the health food section, but any local grocery store should carry it. I will post a link for Basha Foods International, which is a grocery store that carries more variety from foreign countries http://bashafoods.ca/.

Quinoa Burgers

· 1 cup quinoa

· 2 garlic cloves

· ¼ cup cilantro

· ½ cup onion

· 3 tablespoons olive oil

· 1/3 cup bread crumbs

· ¾ teaspoon salt

· ¾ teaspoon cumin

· 1 jalapeño pepper seeded

· ¾ teaspoon pepper

· ¾ teaspoon chili powder

Cook quinoa the same as you would cook as rice. You can also use a rice cooker. Put all ingredients into a food processor except breadcrumbs. Blend until smooth.

Add breadcrumbs. Form small ½ cm thick patties. Warm a frying pan with a little olive oil. Fry quinoa burgers the same as meat burgers. Toppings are the same routine as a meat burger. You pick and choose what flavors you like.

1 comment:

  1. If you use tofu it works really well too. Although, you also need to add vaggies to it. My sister tried replacing the rice she ate with quinoa but it was very bland and it took so long to cook and she was just boiling it. Is there another way of cooking it faster?

    ReplyDelete