Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Caffeine

We all love our caffeinated drinks: coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks and various types of javas; but what are the benefits and drawbacks of consuming caffeine?

A small amount of caffeine by an individual may result in increased alertness or ability to concentrate.

The list of drawback from consuming caffeinated drinks is much longer, it depends on how much one consumes and is very broad (depending on age and size of body). General drawbacks from consuming caffeine products are that it is a stimulant, psychoactive drug, can be toxic and can be addictive. If someone doesn’t consume a regular amount of caffeine they may have withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms may include headaches, fatigue, decreased alertness, drowsiness, decreased well-being, depressed mood, difficulty concentration and easily irritable. Caffeine is also considered a diuretic which means that urine output may increase when caffeine is consumed and in extreme situation can cause dehydration. Studies have also been completed to see if caffeine has any behavioural effects on adults and children, blood pressure, elevation of stress, cardiovascular disease, bone loss and effects on pregnancy. The following websites were very helpful in understanding the effects of caffeine and I recommend you read them:

http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/article.htm

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/caffeine-eng.php

I love my softdrinks and all of my family member love their coffee, tea and softdrinks to. I remember having a fever one day and took some medication (pain reliever and fever reducer) and after a little while had some tea; once the two were combined I noticed that my sensitivity to light was so high and very uncomfortable, it felt like I was under some influence or on some drugs. After this incident I stopped consuming any medications and caffeine related products together.

Do you love your caffeine drinks and have you had any weird experiences?

2 comments:

  1. I love coffee so much. I hate to think about the drawbacks. It is so true a little coffee is fine but a lot can be harmful. Speaking of coffee, I would love a evening java. Thanks for the reminder to slow down drinking caffeine. No weird experiences yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coffee as well. I do not drink it all the time, just here and there and I have never had any weird experiences from drinking it. I had no idea that something like mixing medication and caffeine could mess with your light sensitivity. That's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete