Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ginger Man Cookies


Ginger Bread Cookies

Every holiday I make a treat for my son’s daycare. The daycare my son goes to always throws neat parties for the kids. I like to make something from scratch because all the other parents bring chips and pop, things that a ready-made. This year for his Christmas party we made ginger bread cookies. I made them last year and have perfected the techniques. I don’t particularly enjoy the flavor of molasses, but I like decorating the cookies with my son. Last year I left the cookies plain and brought all the icing and candies for the kids to decorate themselves. This year I wanted to decorate them with my little man. It was a lot more fun hanging out and sharing the experience.

Ginger Bread Cookies

· 4 cups flour

· 1 tablespoon ginger

· 1 tablespoon nutmeg

· 1 teaspoon all spice

· 1 teaspoon clove spice

· 1 cup room temperature butter

· 1 egg

· 1 tablespoon vanilla

· ¾ teaspoon baking soda

· ¾ teaspoon baking powder

· 1 cup dark molasses

· 1 cup brown sugar

Mix butter, vanilla, brown sugar and egg together until smooth. Sift dry ingredients slowly into liquid mixture. Mix all ingredients until dough is smooth. Cover in a bowl and put in fridge for one hour. Preheat oven to 375. Put some flour on counter to prevent dough sticking to the counter top. Roll dough ¼ cm thick. Take cookie cutter in any shape and press into dough. Place cookies onto greased pan. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes.

If you over-bake the cookies they will become very hard. It is better to slightly under-bake them. Happy holidays everyone and happy baking.

1 comment:

  1. These look great! I usually make sugar cookies for christmas and cut them out into christmas themed shapes. I've never tried making gingerbread cookies though. I will possibly try them out this year :)

    ReplyDelete