Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Genetically modified organisms (GMOs)

Used by almost all, genetically modified foods are involving the alteration of the DNA of that food. Most of us have head of the genetically modified tomato with the fish gene inserted into it. I used to think that was pretty disgusting being a vegetarian. Then I found out this just meant that a small part of the tomato DNA was switched with that of a fish that lived in cold water. Originally this was done to protect tomatoes from frost bite before harvest time. Because of frost bite farmers lose their earning and the decrease in supply of tomatoes leads to higher prices.

With the ever growing human population there is a limited amount of farm land to provide food for all. GMOs help plants to increase nutritional value, resist diseases and rapid weather changes. This reduces the amount of pesticides used and the leaking of the pesticides into our water supply. It also slows down the fast rising food prices. So, GMOs are not as bad as we might think. There just another scientific advancement meant to make our lives easier. This is my perspective on the subject, if anyone else knows anything else feel free to share.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is gross. That was my first thought as a vegetarian. I hate to see the farmers suffer with loss of wadges. I just think it is wrong to mess with nature and the way things were made. That is so interesting. I never knew that was done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good on paper, but when you learn about the business side of things it gets a little messed up. From what I understand, the companies that created these GMO own complete rights to them. If you want to grow them you have to buy the seeds from them every year. If you're an organic farmer and some of these seeds blow into your crop and start growing, the company owns those plants! Maybe it just me, but that seems messed up.

    ReplyDelete