Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkin Pie!

So I worked all this weekend and it was very busy. The pies I pumped out was absolutely crazy, but I guess that's a good thing. While I was at work though, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and made a pumpkin pie for my own Thanksgiving dinner. I brought in my fancy red Emily Henry Pie plate I recieved for Christmas last year and got myself pumped up for a long day of baking. First things first though, I had to make some pie dough. the recipe is as follows:

-1/2lb butter
-375g pastry flour
-125ml ice cold water
-5g salt
-15g brown sugar

mix butter and flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Dissolve the salt and sugar in the water and add it to the flour mixture. Wrap and put it into the fridge to rest. remember, you might have to add more water but only a little bit at a time.

For Pie Filling, I have always loved the "Joy of Baking" website. There recipes haven't failed me yet.
The Pumpkin Pie filling recipe I used can be found here: pumpkin pie filling


I put the filling in a unbaked pie shell and into the oven for about 45 min. Until the crust was golden brown and the filling was set.

My pie felt uncertain of what was to come for him...


It was absolutely delicious! The only thing, and I always seem to have this problem, is that the bottom the pie crust was a little under baked. As you can see the filling did crack but the shell was still under baked. That is one of the things that bothers me is never knowing if the bottom of the pie shell is fully baked. Does anyone have any ideas as to prevent a soggy or underbaked shell?
Happy Gobble Gobble Day and Sweet Dreams!
Tyla

4 comments:

  1. If I could make something that looks that good I don't think I would go to school. You have a talent. It looks amazing! You should...bring some in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like pumpkin pie that should be in a museum. Haha! I bet it tastes as fantastic as it looks too. Tried my first home made pumpkin pie this year and this recipe together might just inspire me to make some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had pumpkin pie before and it doesn't look to hard to make as long as you can get the dough already made. I used to bake but realized I became impatient and rushed through it. Are the steps the same if you were to use a different fruit for the filling or do you make modifications as you go along?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone :)
    @Raman if you mean the pie dough when it comes to fruit filling, you do it the same way. Meaning unbaked pie shell. For example: If you wanted to make an apple pie with a lattice on top (criss cross pieces of dough) it is also the same thing. It is all unbaked, but you will want to do an egg wash (one egg with bit of water) around the side of the shell and on top of the lattice to help it stick and also to give it a shine.
    The only times that you want to bake the pie shell off first is for pastry cream fillings like coconut cream pie and such as the filling just needs to set in the pie. But remember to blind bake (put a bag of beans on top of the shell) to prevent it from bubbling up and what not.
    Hope that answered your question :)

    ReplyDelete