Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wild Beer Flavors

I like to consider myself a bit of a beer snob. Whenever there's a new beer in the store, I immediately want to try it. If you're looking for something a bit out of the ordinary, here the list for you.

Top 3 weirdest beers I've ever had.

No. 1: Rogue Chipotle Ale
So I've never had anything Chipotle before, so this beer really hit me over the head. The aroma was amazing. I cracked this one and was instantly bombarded by a mix of smokiness and pe
ppers. The smell is coupled with a very strong taste (a mix of hops and roasted peppers) but lacked the spiciness I'd been expecting. Honestly it really wasn't for me. I guess I'm just not a fan of Chipotle, because i couldn't wrap my head around the taste.

No. 2:
Palo Santo Marron (Dogfish Head)
This is one of my all time favorite beers. It's full of complex flavors and had the body to back them up. The Guys at the Dogfish head brewery really went all out for this one. They crafted special wooden brewing vessels out of Paraguayan Palo Santo wood, which lend a earthiness to the vanilla and caramel notes already in the brew. If you ever get the chance to try this one don't pass it up. Dogfish stopped exporting beer into Canada so they're hard to find, but every once in a while you'll find an old batch on a shelf in a no name liquor store. The one i had was a year old. And because of it's high alcohol content (12.0 abv yikes!) it could easily age a couple more.


No. 3: Lemon Tea Beer (Mill St. Brewery)
This is one you can actually find pretty easily around Calgary, I've even been able to get it some bars and pubs. It's not really my type of beer. I'm into dark, extremely hopy, or rich beers and this is the exact opposite, but i love it. It taste like lemon tea! i don't know how they did it but they got it spot on. It's subtle, light, and perfect on a hot summer day.


No comments:

Post a Comment