Friday, October 28, 2011

My Turn to Cook

If you haven't noticed, I am more of a baker then a cook. When I am asked to cook; in the beginning I find it fun, but in the end, I find it more of a chore. About two weeks ago my dad went away on vacation and left me and my mum to fend for our selves. He is the cook of the house, and me and my mum decided to alternate nights when it came to making dinner. One night I decided to make a chicken dish. One of my favorite things to do when it comes to making chicken dishes is using whatever vegetables are in the house then letting it all swim in a can of coconut milk.
These are the steps towards the final dish:




Pick out your chosen vegetables. I picked onions, red pepper, zucchini, and tomatoes.
Cut your chicken breast into smaller pieces and saute in a pan of butter until cooked.


While the chicken is sauteing, chop up your vegetables and separate them according to how long they take to cook. (onion and red pepper take longer to cook then tomato and zucchini)

Take the chicken out and set aside. saute the vegetables accordingly. Next add the coconut milk and last but not least the cooked chicken. then season to taste. Let simmer for 20 min to thicken. If it doesn't thicken, add a slurry (corn starch and some of the juices from the pan)
Serve up!! I didn't serve it on anything because me and my mum were too hungry to wait 45 min for brown rice to cook. On the other hand, if there was jasmine rice in the house I would have definitely thrown a pot on.


Overall it was really good but very rich. My baking habits tend to reach into my cooking habits, hence sauteing the chicken in butter and using coconut milk.
Sweet dreams!!
Tyla

No comments:

Post a Comment