Monday, October 24, 2011

Baby Food (New Palate

I have a son who is 6 months old, and I make his baby food at home. I feel safe and reassured knowing what is in my son's food, and by making it myself I can be certain.

Making home made baby food is simple, but does require a few kitchen tools. Baby food needs to be pureed, and the best way to do this is with a blender, electric food processor or a handheld food processor. A strainer is also important, depending what kind of food you are cooking, to take out any hiding pieces. To store my baby food, I use plastic bags when I am storing it in the fridge and ice cube trays when I am freezing it. Ice cube trays are perfect as a portion indicator and saves from having a hundred little bags crowding around your freezer. Note that one ice cube square equals one ounce.

My son loves sweet things like fruit, so I have been mixing fruits with anything I can, even vegetables. His favourite dish is breakfast cereal that I make with apples and bananas. Here is the recipe:

Banana Apple Sunshine Cereal

3/4 tablespoon oats
1/3 cup water
1 small apple, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 small banana, mashed

1) In a pot bring all ingredients to a boil.
2) Turn heat to medium and cover, simmer 5-8 minutes.
3) Take off of the heat and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before pureeing.

The texture of this recipe is very smooth. This recipe can even be converted into an adult dish by not pureeing the ingredients. There is no need to add sugar. The apple and banana are a natural sweetener, and for an adult you can add nuts or dried fruit to the top of your cereal.

Making your own baby food is much easier than you think and can save money. Making sure you know what is going into your little monster's mouth is the most rewarding part. You can protect their newly developing stomachs while you are providing them the best nutrition possible.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great mom! If I were a baby I would want you to feed me! It is important to ensure proper nutrition and a great taste.

    ReplyDelete