Friday, September 30, 2011

Tyla in a Bubble


So I was thinking about what could be my first post for this blog. It crossed my mind many times, what recipe to use, what product to make, and basically what to do. So I finally decided, my first post will be about me. This way everyone can get a sense of who I am and why I am doing something like this.
First of all, my name is Tyla. I go by nicknames such as Tball, Tytyboo (given to me in Elementary which evolved into my twitter name), and Tylenol (I know, that's my sister for you.)
I have one sister and she is my best friend. She is 4 years older then me and one of my main goals. I say this because she has celiac disease, anaphylactic to peanuts and nuts, intolerant to dairy and a vegetarian. Over the past 2 years, I have been able to perfect shortbread, butter tarts, and a trifle recipe where she can eat freely and doesn't have to worry about a thing.
I finished high school in 2007 and went straight to post secondary. I did this because I had one thing on my mind. That was to take my passion and turn it into a source of income.
If you haven't gathered yet, I love to bake. I love anything to do with baking, pastry, chocolate, and sugar. I love it so much that when someone comes up to me and asks me to bake for them, if its a batch of brownies or a 2 tiered cake, I will do it for next to nothing. This is also if I have the time. Although I have a diploma in Baking and Pastry Arts, I still consider myself inexperienced and always learning.
Last year I decided to come back to school for my business degree. This way I can understand all aspects when it comes to opening up my own bakery, my own Bed and Breakfast.
But that is basically me in a bubble and my main purpose on this blog is to post recipes that are of interest to me that will hopefully become an interest to you.
Sweet Dreams,
Tyla

5 comments:

  1. Your cakes look fantastic Tyla! I used to work with a girl that took the pastry arts program, you really have lots of talent. Its fascinating what you can do with sugar and chocolate. Reminds me of cake boss and cupcake girls. What do you think of those shows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cakes are beautiful! I wish I could bake like that. I really like the small details on the flowers in both of the cakes. It is also impressive that you built such a tall cake without any sides caving in or becoming uneven! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou!! Both of You :)
    @Shauna when it comes to cake boss, I find he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but I love the products he produces. I found out that he is opening a factory and it makes me wonder why he would do that? I know of many places including a place that I worked for that think it's a great idea to expand and I don't see that. What happened to keeping the one shop and having the excitement of always having a lineup outside your door? How do you feel about that?
    As for cupcake girls, to tell you the truth, when I worked for Crave, I despised them. When I moved on, I don't mind them as much :P
    @Steph it's not as hard as you think :) You learn tricks in school that keep a cake from caving in or becoming uneven. For example: the cake needs to be one you are used to making and relatively dense (thats why the traditional wedding cake is a fruit cake) and for filling, it's always best to stick with a buttercream. :)fruit and custard fillings for a wedding cake are just plain evil haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It totally makes sense, it would not involve as much creativity, and the cakes would not be as unique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cakes are gorgeous Tyla, I am very jealous of your talent. I have no baking/cooking skills at all. I don't think I have a patience for it. It's great that you have the mindset to always be learning about your passion, and that you can never gather enough information about it. I think that's how people become great in their profession. I hope that you are successful in creating your own bakery/bed in breakfast, and wish you the best of luck. Again, gorgeous cakes!

    ReplyDelete