Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Versatile icing

This is a really simple icing that won’t compare to the beautiful cakes here, but I like that it does on anything, and a little bit of food coloring it can be any color that you want. It’s a simple way to make cookies look a little bit brighter. It works really well with sugar cookies. It really works well if, like me, your baking skills are less than stellar and you accidentally burn cookies, it works well as a cover up. Or, if you have better cooking skills than mine you can use it to design your cookies to make them more festive.

No cook icing

1 cup white sugar

1 unbeaten egg white

1 tsp vanilla

¼ tsp cream of tartar

½ cup boiling water

Mix all of these ingredients together, and add any food coloring you want. For me the food coloring is essential, the plain white icing can be a little bit much, so even adding a couple drops of red really helps. I recently used this icing on some cookies that I made for a baby shower and I did add red to half the mix and blue to the other half, with just a couple drops the icing turned a nice shade of baby blue, while the red made a nice shade of pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment