Monday, November 14, 2011

He Scores!!! A Personalized Jersey That You Can Eat

Last weekend, I was asked by a friend to make a birthday cake that was the shape of a hockey jersey. I have never done this before, shaping and carving of a cake that is.


The type of cake used was a red velvet. The recipe came from the Joy of Baking website that I love and trust. The filling was a cream cheese, mascarpone Chantilly and was masked with cream cheese butter cream. The Chantilly filling recipe was also found on Joy of Baking just under the red velvet recipe. This is where you can get it.


The butter cream recipe came out of my head. Just throw equal parts of butter and cream cheese as well as a splash of vanilla into a mixer and cream until smooth. Next add icing sugar and a bit of whipped cream until you reach the desired consistency.


The fondant was from Satin Ice, my favorite fondant, as they have them pre-coloured therefore not wasting 20 minutes to needing the fondant. It is also very easy to work with and actually tastes pretty good.
Here are pictures of the final product:






The things that I learned from making this cake is that it needs to be masked in a buttercream (or marzipan if you so choose) before the fondant layer, as the butter in the icing will harden making it a stable product. I also realized the amount of waste when it comes to making shaped cakes. What better way to utilize them by making a bucket of cake scraps for rum balls. Yummy!!!

Sweet Dreams,
Tyla

4 comments:

  1. Your cake is really good, especially for your first try. I have always wanted to try working with fondant. I like watching cake shows on the food network and besides making me hungry I always end up wanting to try making an amazing cake like their finished product. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you did a great job! I wish I had the baking skills to make fabulous cakes. I just don't have the patience. I work at a restraunt and some of the cakes that come in look wonderful! I hope you continue to make more cakes for people as it will make them very happy. I hope your friend appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you :) She loved it and so did the Birthday man. That's all I really look for in baking, is knowing that someone appreciates and likes the work I do. It's like a mastercard commercial. Cake supplies: $50. The time to make the cake: 6 hours. Hearing that the cake was enjoyed and that they loved it: Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so impressed with this cake!! did cake boss inspire you to get into this? haha I think the jersey Idea is great, if I was better at baking Id totally try this.

    ReplyDelete