Monday, October 24, 2011

Love Tofu

Mashed, crumbled or diced, tofu is one of my favourite ingredients to use in my cooking. I don't call myself a vegetarian completely because I do eat fish, but don't like to eat meat. I haven't eaten meat since i was 13 years old after I had became really sick after eating a hamburger. So to substitute for texture and flavour I use tofu in many recipes.

I love to make chili with tofu. The tofu that I use for this dish already comes in the form of hamburger crumble. The texture when added to the dish is exactly the same as hamburger meat, I have tricked many people who are "meat lovers" with this dish. There are so many dishes that can use tofu in place of meat, and there are whole cook books dedicated to cooking with it. I love tofu hotdogs, they are so good. I remember when I was told that left over skin and meat bits go into making hotdogs, and I could never look at them the same after that.

Many people say that tofu has no flavour and this is very true. Unflavoured solid tofu cubes tastes very bland. Tofu is not meant to be eaten plain. It's meant to take on the life of whatever dish it is added to. Tofu absorbs flavour like a sponge and can taste like your favourite spice or sauce instantly. Tofu is low in fat and sodium and high in iron and protein, which is why tofu is used as a meat replacement. Another benefit to eating more tofu is that tofu is easier to digest than meat.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with you! It’s great! I am a vegetarian and I don’t eat any animal on land or from the water. Tofu just adds another vegetarian source of protein for me. It is great if you are trying to get into shape or just build some muscle because how much beans can you really eat? After some time you need to change things up and tofu can be added to so many different types of dishes.

    ReplyDelete